Sunday, March 07, 2010

Recipe : Mattar ki Ghugni (Stir Fried Green Peas)

Edited on 8 March to change the name.
Thank you to Sangeeta for giving me the traditional name of this dish.


This is a really simple and fast recipe. My Mother-in-law often makes this for breakfast, when we are visiting on holday. We tend to wake up late and then my husband urges his mom to serve him something hot, but fast. She always has a couple of packets of freshly shelled green peas in her fridge for such occassions.

If you have already shelled your peas, it takes barely 5-10 minutes to serve this dish.


Ingredients:
500 gms of peas (300 gms after shelling)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1" piece of ginger
2 green chillies (optional)
a few drops of oil
salt to taste
1/2 a lemon (optional)

Preparation:
Shell the peas (fresh green peas taste best in this recipe, frozen may not be so bad, but rehydrated peas is a very bad idea)
Grate the ginger or chop it very fine (paste is not an option)
Red chillies will give a lovely touch of colour to the dish, but green chillies will do too. Chop fine if using.

Method:
Put a few drops of oil into a hot pan. When the oil turns hot, drop the jeera/cumin seeds.
When the seeds start to pop, add the ginger. (this will splutter a bit, be careful)
Fry the ginger for about 30 seconds, then add the chopped chillies.
Fry for another 15-30 seconds and then add the peas.
Add salt to taste.
Cover and let the peas cook in their own steam. (add a few drops of water, if it gets too dry/starts to char)
When the peas start to shrivel a bit, they are done.

The peas look like jewels.
Serve hot, with a squeeze of lemon.(optional)

This dish can be eaten on its own, with bread, rotis, puris, or rice.

5 comments:

sangeeta said...

this matar is a fave at our place and is called matar ki ghugni.
slight variations are allowed when the peas are fresh n bursting with flavor ....yummy !!

Kim said...

Sangeeta,

Thank you for stopping by and giving me the name of the dish.

My MIL cooks a lot of food, but they don't really name the dish. It is mattar or bhindi or gobhi and suhawala or rasewala.

Being from the South, a lot of the food is completely new to me and there are no recipe books for this ghar ka khaana. so it is wonderful to find someone knowledgeabale about these dishes.

I will change the name on my post too.

Also, I did want to mention, that I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to understand how you feel. Losing my grandmother (to whom this blog is dedicated) last year was a horrible blow, I can't imagine how it would be to go through what you are going through.

All I can say is that when you are ready, please start blogging again. Personally I have stepped up my efforts to post on this particular blog, because it is my own way of remembering my grandmother and it does help me. Writing can be catharitic and I hope it helps you too.

Prayers and hugs to you.

easy recipe said...

Where can I buy cumin seeds?

Kim said...

any Indian grocery store worth its salt, will stock them

I suspect Natural and Organic whole food stores would also sell them.

It largely depends which part of the world you are in

sangeeta said...

Thanks Kim for the heartfelt words , i am trying to start writing for my blogs soon ...
i have a slightly different recipe of this matar ki ghugni on my blog Banaras ka khana n you can find many north Indian recipes too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis